Monday 31 December 2012
A profile of Wim Crouwel: the Dutch graphic designer Video Clips. Duration : 3.93 Mins.


"For me it is always a question of thinking before sketching," explains Wim Crouwel, the Dutch graphic designer. "A design ripens in my head, and then I see it more or less in front of me, before I take a pencil and do it on paper". Phaidon.com caught up with Crouwel in Utrecht at Schröder House - designed by Gerrit Rietveld, a name that was familiar to Crouwel as a student at art school (and who would later become an acquaintance). In a career spanning more than 60 years, Crouwel discusses how he was influenced by the Swiss design movement of the 1950s and how he became a graphic designer, known to his friends as 'grid-nick': "I developed a kind of grid in which my design would take shape. It's very architectural because I'm influenced as much by architecture as by other graphic designers and artists."

0 comments:

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews

Powered By Blogger
Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog